Advocacy & Awareness Intern
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a fast-growing association of patients, family members and medical professionals committed to maintaining the organization’s spirit of community and building opportunities for involvement and education. Pulmonary hypertension is a life-threatening illness described as high blood pressure in the lungs. It is a disease that knows no borders, races or social classes and affects people of all ages, although most often, it afflicts young women in the prime of their lives.
Advocacy and Awareness interns assist the Director of Advocacy and Awareness to organize grassroots constituencies and build advocacy, awareness, and media campaigns. This critical support will enable us to continue to provide vital services to the pulmonary hypertension community and promote awareness of an under-diagnosed illness.
• gain valuable experience in the field of non-profit/grassroots organizing and advocacy
• assist in coordinating advocacy events and conferences
• occasionally visit Capitol Hill to attend Congressional hearings and to help lobby governmental or corporate decision-makers in support of specific policy proposals
• help propose and develop print and electronic tools to advance advocacy and awareness activities
• help identify issues around which grassroots and national advocacy campaigns can be developed
• track press hits, and maintain media lists and records of grassroots advocacy
• prepare legislative briefing materials, press kits, and member action kits
• receive a small stipend and free parking
• work 25-40 hours/week (schedule is flexible)
You will be treated as a respected team member. Our office is a friendly and welcoming environment. If you would like to design a project that helps you meet your educational goals, we will work with you to achieve this.
• be enthusiastic about working as part of a team; be able to work independently
• possess strong research and writing skills
• be comfortable interacting with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds
• have solid knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, additional computer ability is a plus
Interns may also earn college credit. Our office is located in downtown Silver Spring, Md., and is Metro accessible.
Paid Internship Info:
stipend plus parking reimbursement
*Learn more about us at www.PHAssociation.org*Tags:
PULMONARY HYPERTENSION ASSOCIATION
Internweb.com cannot guarantee the validity and accuracy of internship postings. All persons expressing interest, applying for or accepting internships posted on Internweb.com do so of their own accord and in compliance with Internweb.com's Terms and Conditions.