Full-Time Victim Advocate (Full-Time)
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Strong consideration will be given to candidates that are bilingual and that have a criminal justice degree.
The Victim Advocate reports to the Director of Victim Advocacy, and is responsible to provide supportive services including: crisis intervention, information, and appropriate case management services for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault violence. This position assists both adult and child victims. The Victim Advocate serves as an informed source of support to the victim during the immediate crisis and works closely with various community organizations and legal services to successfully support the victim and the Beacon of Hope Crisis Center programs.
- Continued education and training as needed to ensure BOHCC is following the most current laws in the areas of victim services/advocacy (education and training services include: general awareness presentations, teen dating violence presentations, workplace violence, healthcare, clergy and certified law enforcement trainings in domestic violence/sexual assault).
- Maintain professionalism at all times including:
- Positive rapport with collaborative partners and express only positive feedback.
- Positive rapport with victims
- Provide victims to emergency support services, including:
- Emergency financial assistance for: food, clothing, or other items related to getting out of immediate crisis.
- Emergency and essential transportation assistance to safe shelter or essential appointments to aid in increased self-sufficiency.
- Emergency hotel stays when shelter beds are full.
- Connect victims to necessary counseling and/or other professional services, including:
- Medical/Dental advocacy – assisting in medical and dental services offered reduced or free through BOHCC service partners for injuries related to domestic violence or sexual assault.
- Personal advocacy – including securing rights, remedies, and services from other agencies.
- Victim Compensation Assistance/Advocacy
- In the event that BOHCC cannot provide what is needed for victims, provide the appropriate referral to victims (note that we have a process we follow for recommending referral resources.)
- Pass along important information to the leadership team that falls outside the scope of direct client service.
- Support and expand on existing programs with services of volunteers, including:
- Safety Planning
- Crisis Intervention services and emotional support (including phone or in person at an approved secured facility)
- Life Skills Training/Economic self-sufficiency training
- Pet Safety Assistance
- Assist CEO/Executive Director with public outreach events related to domestic violence, sexual assault, victim advocacy, and BOHCC services when requested.
- On-going maintenance of data/databases and records as necessary.
- Attend all staff meetings.
Any staff member of Beacon of Hope Crisis Center will be responsible to support other staff and volunteers as needed, including cleanliness and care of offices and supporting other areas whenever possible.
BSW degree or higher in Criminal Justice, Criminology or related field. Valid Indiana driver’s license, full coverage car insurance and reliable transportation required. Qualified candidates must be familiar with the dynamics of domestic violence and sexual assault, experienced with public speaking, training, and volunteer recruitment in diverse populations. Applicant must have excellent written, verbal and computer skills; must be a self-starter; to reach and work with a
wide diverse population; be able to respect confidentiality of the work that is performed for Beacon of Hope Crisis Center; have good record-keeping skills; and able to multi-task. Able to adhere to strict standards of confidentiality and successful clearance of a criminal background check. All advocates must have a thorough understanding of: the criminal justice system, victimology, crisis intervention, cultural/ethnic diversity, and applicable state victims’ rights/laws.
How to ApplyTo apply: 1. Download and complete the employment application found at: https://www.beaconofhopeindy.org/employment-opportunities.html 2. Submit the completed application along with your cover letter and resume. Send to email@example.com 6920 S East St, Indianapolis, IN 46227
390 total views, 6 today